Saturday 19 October 2013

Rushey here and Rushey there.

With my Br-i-Laws carer putting in her usual Friday six hour stint I took the opportunity to have a look at Rushey Common. This is a site that is increasingly attracting good numbers of birds being part of the restored gravel diggings in the area and falls under the jurisdiction of the enthusiastic and energetic Jane Bowley project officer of the Lower Windrush Valley initiative.
I found lots of common birds enjoying the watery habitat, but today there was nothing to get the adrenalin surging through my rather ample body, but do not be put off making a trip to this often brilliant site, complete with its state of the art hide giving great views across the wide expanse of lake, for "good" birds have already been recorded there and rarities will no doubt be the order of the future. Just Google Jane Bowley/Lower windrush valley project and she will arrange a key giving you access through the approach gate and the same key will gain your entry into the hide. All for a very small one - of fee that will last for many years.
I later called in at Clanfield where with my very good friends Albert & Margaret I enjoyed a cup of tea and some of Margarets oh! so delicious cakes . Albert is one of our dedicated band of Tree Sparrow helpers and in the course of our conversation  he told me about a Firecrest he had seen in his garden 02/10/2014 but had been unable to post it on the OOS website in the bird records section due to a technicality, happily I have since been in touch with Lewbelu (county recorder) and he has done the necessary and recorded this county rarity. When I left, Margaret had kindly packed some of her home-made cakes for me , these should have lasted me several days but my Br-in-Law also had the taste for them and i'm afraid that all that is left is a few crumbs.
The Oxon Feather.
                                           Wigeon
                                          Gadwell
                                           Shoveler
                                           Tufted
                                             Great Crested Grebe
                                              Teal

No comments:

Post a Comment