Saturday 25 May 2013

Hammered.

Following the unpleasant cold of the 24th, the 25th was a complete contrast with warm sunlight tickled by a gentle breeze, this gave me a chance to get the bike out and ride out to a mates Stanford farm and walk the lush grassland that will soon be made into hay or silage, plenty of insects although not much in the way of butterflies. Linnet was seen and on the ground sown with Maize three pair of Lapwing lapped and peewitted, an appointment at Bampton meant leaving before i'd had a chance to fully explore most of the farm and i'll be returning soon.
Back on the bike again later and a very nice ride along the Cold Harbour track before retracing my steps and heading for Shellingford Quarry where I met up with Robert and we looked over the site together, Garden Warbler sang close to the entrance and after finding a couple of pairs of Tufted Duck ,Swans, Canada's, Coots and a lot of Sand Martin, I said "goodbye" and thought to myself as I headed home how sparse it had been for Yellowhammer this year , thankfully as I headed for Hatford a roadside hedgerow pair gave me an opportunity of a photo.
camboy.




No comments:

Post a Comment